Sunday, April 21, 2013

Nhora Barrera Murphy > www.tmncorp.com

Nhora Barrera Murphy, CEO, TMN

What do you need to be an entrepreneur?
For me the most important aspect is “attitude.” I am a positive person and always try to see the good side even at bad times. Setting goals and applying myself to them with discipline and persistence has been a basic aspect of my career.  My goals have all been based on strategic planning to help me reach measurable goals.  Clients are an intrinsically part of my planning.  We know our clients and strive to service them with personalized attention tailoring each program to their needs and objectives.

What did inspire you to start your business? 
My career was leading me more and more to do outreach and to work on social issues. My understanding of the gaps, barriers and needs that Hispanics were facing in health care were my motivation to start the company.  Our work is very rewarding and an inspiration not only for me for my staff.

How did you finance it? 
Savings and loans backed up with personal property.

Being Hispanic…Does it have any influence on your business? 
In my line of business YES, it’s had a big influence. I have focused my career to reach out Hispanics in the U.S. with culturally-appropriate messages through national communication programs with a social component that are aimed to educate Hispanic community about health, traffic safety, environment and educational issues. The principles and methodologies used have helped me to expand into other areas.  As my business has grown, we have learned that underserved markets have many of the same needs.  So we have expanded our business and our staff to serve many ethnic groups.  The goal is to empower these groups to gain the tools to achieve the American Dream. 

In the face of adversity, how do you decide to keep going? 
I just move on and look at the big spectrum in the horizon. How I see or perceive the adversity will model the approach that that I will take on the situation; therefore, I try to find the best out of adversity and turn it into something positive or a lesson learned. At some points, it is important to step back before you leap forward.

What is the biggest challenge your business has faced? 
Buying my partner out and refocusing the company to achieve my business goals.

If you could change one thing about your business, what would it be? 
I wish I had the knowledge I now have when I started and I wish I had a business mentor.

What was your childhood ambition? 
The business world was always fascinating to me.  I didn’t have an exact idea or role in mind, it evolved with time.

Tell us about three entrepreneurs that you admire?

1.      Steve Jobs: I admire his charisma, innovation and vision that ultimately changed the computer industry.

2.      Barbara Corcoran: Her story is inspiring. So is the self confidence it took her to build a 6 billon dollar company. I also admire her willingness to share of her wisdom with other entrepreneurs.

3.      Oprah Winfrey: I admire her determination to achieve what she wants and her commitment to helping others.

For business meetings: breakfast, lunch, or dinner? 
I am flexible, but I prefer lunch or dinner. 

What sacrifices on your personal life did you have to make in order to become a business success? 
Family. I had to sacrifice quality time with my youngest son during his early years.

What is your favorite quote? 
I like following quote because I think no one person can build a successful business alone. My team is committed, dedicated and truly believe in what we do.

“Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success.” Henry Ford

Biggest mistake made? 
I don’t like to categorize mistakes by size because what you could feel and call a big mistake at a particular time in your life may be meaningless in the present. The most important thing is to learn from the mistake. There is a lot of opportunity in starting and growing a business to make mistakes.

Do you consider yourself an innovator? Why? 
Yes, if you do not change, reinvent, and adapt you will not succeed. To stay in business you must innovate constantly.

Company Description:
TMNcorp is a full-service communications firm in Silver Spring, MD that provides innovative solutions in marketing, branding, strategic communications and social awareness through expertly coordinated media.
Founded in 1999, TMN excels in creating and implementing national, regional, and local campaigns for general and multicultural audiences. We believe our team’s combination of high quality research and multi‐faceted media experience; coupled with a solid understanding of community dynamics, sets us apart from other traditional communications, research, public relations, and advertising companies.


Social Media Links:
Twitter:  @TMNcorp

No comments:

Entradas populares

New York Time

Copyright 2017 ©
Netvision SA and PlanetM
New York, New York, USA 10008
You can copy this content without permission but you must notify us via email.
Otherwise, it is illegal. All rights reserved worldwide
Updated by Carlos Vassallo

Page Views Last Month