Sunday, December 4, 2011

Jacqueline Rivera > www.pawfectday.com

Jacqueline Rivera, Owner, PawfectDay

What do you need to be an entrepreneur?
Self discipline. The ability to work in an unstable environment and have the flexibilty to change in order to consistently improve.

What inspired you to start your business?
The disappointment of working long hours for a someone else and not being appreciated.

How did you finance it?
Here’s the tough part. I combined my savings, IRA’s and a home equity. It was a risk I truly believed in.

Being Hispanic… Does it have any influence on your business?
Most of my clients are not Hispanic. However, I do feel like I have to work harder to earn credibility because I am a young female with an accent. I think the 1st impression most people get when they meet me is that they can get over on me.

In the face of adversity, how do you decide to keep going?
Honestly, there were times were I contemplated letting it all go. During the most stressful moments, I’d fantasize about working for someone else again. There are times when you doubt yourself. Am I going to make it? But then there are fantastic days that remind you of why you started this to begin with. Those are the days that keep me focused.

What is the biggest challenge your business has faced?
The biggest challenge has been hiring. The ability to trust that someone else will love this job as much as I do. In my field, we deal with live animals. We are liable for their safety. I run thorough criminal background checks, reference checks and have my Pet Caregivers become Pet First Aid certified.

If you could change one thing about your business, what would it be?
The ability to clock out. I hope to be able to shut off my phone, laptop for a week andhave my business run without me having to check-in one day. Right now, we’re still young and growing so checking in is a necessity.

What was your childhood ambition?
I wanted to be a singer/poet/entrepreneur in elementary school and an artist/fashion designer/photographer in junior high school. I joined the choir in the 3rd grade, had a drawing showcased at an art gallery and turned my mother’s entertainment stand into a store. Painted and called it the Gift Shop. Soon it progressed into a pop-up shop during my lunch hour where I sold stickers, chokers, posters, perfumes and mixed tapes.

Tell us about three entrepreneurs that you admire?
Oprah Winfrey, having a rough childhood and against all odds becoming a household name we all know. Cesar Millan, talk about coming here with nothing and making yourself something to talk about! Diane Heavin, another female who has used their success to give back to the community.

For business meetings: breakfast, lunch, or dinner?
Because midday is the peak time for dog walks. Dinner.

What sacrifices on your personal life did you have to make in order to become a business success?
Family, friends, love life and vacation. Friendships grew distant and my engagement fell apart. My family only saw me on special occasions and holidays during the 1st couple of years. I only recently took vacation for the 1st time in four years.

What is your favorite quote?
When one door closes, another one opens.

Is it difficult to be unconventional?
If you consider talking to dogs and selling doggie tee shirts unconventional, then no.

Biggest mistake made?
Not trusting my gut. You know how you meet someone for the first time, and although they look good on paper, there’s just something that doesn’t feel right? Guess what? That’s because something isn’t right!

Do you consider yourself an innovator? Why?
No. Simply someone who is taking something and working on how to make it even better.

About the company
Bonded & insured, Pawfect Day tailors to you & your pet’s needs with high quality attention to detail. As pet owners ourselves, we know the importance of finding a trusted Pet Caregiver. We believe that dogs are more than just pets & should be treated accordingly. When initiating services with Pawfect Day, you become part of our family. You can rest assured that your baby will be cared for by a professional animal lover.

No comments:

Entradas populares

New York Time

Copyright 2017 ©
Netvision SA and PlanetM
New York, New York, USA 10008
You can copy this content without permission but you must notify us via email.
Otherwise, it is illegal. All rights reserved worldwide
Updated by Carlos Vassallo

Page Views Last Month