Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Ana L. Nogales Ph.D. > www.drnogales.com

Ana L. Nogales Ph.D Founder of Nogales Psychological Counseling, Inc and www.casadelafamilia.org

What do you need to be an entrepreneur?
You need alot of perseverance and love of life. When everything seems to be impossible, you have to look for the open door and find the formula so that you can overcome and pursue your goal.

What did inspire you to start your business?
My father: He would always say the the intelligent persons were the ones who used their heads, and you could accomplish so much more when you labored less and thought more.


How did you finance it?
No one financed my dream/ambition, I worked hard and grew my practice a little at a time.

Being Hispanic…Does it have any influence on your business?
I don't think I would have been able to grow and love my job if it wasn't for the fact that I am Latina and have always worked with the Latino community.

In the face of adversity, how do you decide to keep going?
After, my stomach goes into knots, I use that same energy to think how am I going to keep looking ahead. It has cost me many sleepless nights, but I try and get to sleep, as I know that I think better when I am well rested. Many times I try to leave the City and to find an escape and get close to nature. Upon my return I see things differently and I can focus on my own thoughts more clearly. To have a great support staff is fundamental, because I know who I can count on, who is loyal , and who thinks with me. I ask for opinions from those that I trust, but I take my time to evaluate and consider them to decipher what is the best one to take to fruition.

What is the biggest challenge your business has faced?
Those that are envious, as they can be very destructive, but sometimes they present themselves with a smiling face.

If you could change one thing about your business, what would it be?
I have many things to change. Looking back, I wish I would have had personal financial planner to guide me on how to make investments.

What was your childhood ambition?
I wanted to help people, and this is what I do within my possibilities.

Tell us about three entrepreneurs that you admire?
I admire my brother, who knows how to do things at the right moment, he calculates conservatively, but efficiently.
My daughter and her husband, although young, have programmed their lives in a financially responsible manner.
I also admire Nora de los Hoyos Comstock, who is the founder of Las Comadres de las Americas, whose vision was to connect Latinas via the Internet. Her vision has connected over 12,000 Latinas from all over the United States.

For business meetings: breakfast, lunch, or dinner?
For me breakfast is the best time, that's when I have the best energy. Breakfast is the begining of the day and so people will think throughout the day. Dinner is a more intimate scene, and sometimes by the end of the day your so exhausted, you might not be receptive to any proposal.

What sacrifices on your personal life did you have to make in order to become a business success?
The most difficult thing for me was trying to maintain a balance between my work and my dedication to my family. It was a personal sacrifice, trying to to keep tabs on every detail, but I always kept my priorities in check. I have never received any complaints my family, on the contrary, only praise for my efforts.

What is your favorite quote?
I want to live a full life every single day, so if it were to be my last, I would leave having the satisfaction that I accomplished everything that I had to do in this life.

Is it difficult to be unconventional?
It is very difficult to be non conventional. My Mother always told me that I was rebellious, although looking back, I really wasn't. It cost me constant criticism for trying to be me and living my life the way I wanted to. Now, more mature, it was not difficult to find others who were unconventional and share thoughts. Today, I still look for others who think out of the box and although a minority, it's always such a pleasure to find them. Of course, I get along with conventional people as well, as I have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

Biggest mistake made?

My most serious mistake: using credit cards..........and I'm still making this mistake...........

Do you consider yourself an innovator? Why?
I get enthusiastic and excited with things that I have never done before and I do it with so much passion, that I surprize myself. For example, I never thought I could write books on contemporary topics, and even less to to write a play, as I did recently....................and I continue to write both!


Dr. Nogales immigrated to the United States in 1979 and completed her doctorate degree in psychology at the United States International University, San Diego. She opened her private practice in Los Angeles and Orange Counties, supervising clinical programs for thirty professionals in mental health since 1982. She is a clinical psychologist and founder of Nogales Psychological Counseling, Inc. and Clinical Director of the nonprofit organization, Casa de la Familia, established for victims of crime, such as rape, sexual assault, child sexual and physical abuse, domestic violence and human trafficking.

Contact Dr. Nogales at www.drnogales.com and www.CasadelaFamilia.org

No comments:

Entradas populares

New York Time

Copyright 2017 ©
Netvision SA and PlanetM
New York, New York, USA 10008
You can copy this content without permission but you must notify us via email.
Otherwise, it is illegal. All rights reserved worldwide
Updated by Carlos Vassallo

Page Views Last Month